Transmission Electron Microscopy
ExpressMed Laboratories has imaging facility to perform the full comprehensive Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), Cryo-TEM, Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM). Our services include biological science, clinical research, and soft material research. Our qualified and experienced scientists in electron microscopy technology are available to provide guidance in experiment design for appropriate sample collection, preparation and evaluation. We also offer professional interpretation on the images and results.
What is electron microscopy?
- Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) is a technique in which high energy electrons are transmitted through ultrathin sample (~100nm thickness). These thin samples interact with the electrons as it passes through it and images are formed.
- Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM) is a similar method to TEM but STEM is distinguished from TEM by focusing the electron beam into a narrow spot which is scanned over the sample in a raster. By using TEM or STEM, a high-quality image could be generated at atomic scale resolution which is around 3-4Å. The images are applied in clinical diagnostic, cancer research, virology, material science and other basic research.
- Cryo-Transmission Electron Microscopy (Cryo-TEM) is a powerful tool for macromolecular structural determination in the entry level of biological and material sciences research. The specimen is maintained in a near-native environment (without chemical treatment) within a thin film of vitreous ice and imaged in a transmission electron microscope (TEM).
- Electron Tomography (ET) is a Three-dimensional (3D) structural analysis that is essential to understand the relationship between the structure and function of an object. ET retrieves 3D structural information from a tilt series of 2D projections, and is gradually becoming a mature technology with sub-nanometer resolution. This is one of the most popular analytic tool and has been widely used for structural analysis in both physical and biological sciences.
- ExpressMed laboratories offer above services with high quality and excellent technical and professional support. Our customer services team is available to help to achieve your specific research goals.
Highlights of the Electron Microscopy Facility
- Thermo scientific(FEI) Talos L120C G2
- TEM operating voltage 20-120kV
- Beam source: LaB6 filament.
- TEM line resolution ≤ 0.204 nm
- TEM point resolution ≤ 0.37 nm
- STEM HAADF resolution with LaB6 (nm) ≤ 1.0 nm
- High-quality imaging, 4k × 4k Ceta CMOS camera provides a large field-of-view and live digital zooming with high sensitivity and high speed
- Transmission Electron Microcopy (TEM)
- Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM)
- Cryo-Transmission Electron Microscopy (Cryo-TEM)
- 2D and 3D Electron Tomography
Life Science and Clinical Applications
- Pathology specimens (Renal biopsies, muscle biopsies, and nerve biopsies)
- Biology with its different branches including:
- Cell biology and biophysics
- Developmental biology
- Genome biology
- Structural and computational biology
Material Science Applications
- Nano particles characterization, size, core/shell investigation.
- Defect analysis
- Colloidal dispersion of liposomes, polymerase, emulsion
- Soot particle analysis
- Catalyst study
Cutting Edge Sample Preparation Lab Equipped RMC Boeckeler Instruments, USA
- Produce high quality semi- and ultra-thin sections for TEM, SEM.
- Specifications: Specimen thickness range from 5nm to15 µm .
Cryo Ultramicrotome- LN Ultra
- Sectioning of both biological and industrial materials can be achieved with the LNUltra, a liquid nitrogen-cooled cryochamber attachment for the PowerTome series of ultramicrotome. Mounted onto the PowerTome, the LN Ultra provides optimal thermal stability necessary for producing cryosections. Capable of holding temperatures from +40°C to -185°C, the stable environment of the LNUltra is perfect for sectioning and planing a variety of samples. These may include rubber and soft polymers, or biological cells and tissues; used for example, for immunolabelling using the Tokuyasu technique or CEMOVIS (Cryo Electron Microscopy of Vitreous Ice Sections).
Diamond Knife for Ultra-Thin Sections
Automated EM Tissue Processor
- For tissue processing and resin embedding, automation is the safest and most reproducible route, minimize cross contaminations.
Automated EM Stainer
- After Ultramicrotomy, most sections require contrasting with lead and Uranyl salts. QG3100, capable of contrasting up to 40 grids in one run.
Here how we can help
Timely TEM service
- We can turn around your TEM sample in a day or two with priority support, or about one week with normal support. Either way you get numerous crisp & clear TEM images and a brief, but comprehensive analysis report. That’s responsive service.
Saving you money
- We keep our overhead costs low, so we can pass the savings on to you. We offer great introductory rates and volume discounts that can save you a significant amount of money. We help you stretch your budget dollars.
- We want to establish and maintain long-term, mutually beneficial relationships with our clients. This will insure your success, as well as ours. Our clients’ continuing success is the foundation of our company.
Helping you hit your targets
- We are committed to helping you to meet your targets. Whether that means helping you enhance your yield so you can hit your production targets, or by helping you further your research endeavors. We will be there by your side, working with you